This free event will explore both these ideas and give guests a chance to meet with representatives from Churches and other organisations who have organised Participatory Budgeting events locally.
Date: Saturday 19 August, 10:00 - 14:00
Venue: Gorbals Parish Church, 1 Errol Gardens, Glasgow, G4 0RA
The event is free, places can be booked through Eventbrite here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/participatory-budgeting-for-churches-what-it-is-and-how-to-get-involved-tickets-35433004069
What is Participatory Budgeting?
- a way for local people to make financial decisions for their area
- a way for the church to be at the heart of community transformation
How could your church get involved?
In early 2017 the Church of Scotland received funding from the Scottish Government Community Choices Fund to enable a group of churches to learn about Participatory Budgeting (PB) and host an event to distribute funds in their own community.
PB is a democratic form of decision making that empowers local communities to take financial decisions. By encouraging people to get involved in decision making in their communities, PB also deepens democracy. A total of £20,000 was distributed to the four churches that were part of the project and from this 28 community projects were funded. Find out more about the project here.
This event will include:
- An introduction to Participatory Budgeting (PB)
- A chance to hear from congregations who have hosted PB events - reflecting on the opportunities and challenges of being at the heart of community transformation
- Case studies exploring different ways of doing PB